Friday, July 07, 2006

On the morning of July 6th, 2006, the sun did not rise.

I woke up in darkness, and, ignoring my alarm clock, went back to sleep, naturally. I'm a deep sleeper; my job depends on that (and I hope I'll survive long enough to tell you about that). I faintly remember car horns and people shouting what I believed to be the dead of night. I didn't live in a rough neighborhood, and it was strange, but I ignored it. Alas, the story of probably many citizens on what would become a historic day.

Before this started happening, I was dreaming, on my off hours. A nice long dream, the kind that you appreciate to have when you live alone. I saw her again. Tereal. Why such a strange name? In the gloom of the dreamworld, I was walking through the library, and caught the shine off of her eyes. What a woman. We met, and we exchanged words. I'm making progress.

Is this a dream? Am I stuck in some subconscious sequence that is actually taking mere seconds to flash by? Maybe, my dangerous work has finally dealt that suspected mental blow. What's happening outside of this body?

Then I woke up.

I rolled over, and took a long glance at my alarm clock. 3:18 PM, it read, in all its red digital glory. I suspected a power outtage had reset the clock to some obscure setting, as it was obviously night. There was lead in my veins, and I could have slept longer, I was trained for long durations, but there was an electronic squeal downstairs, in the kitchen. Shambling down, I realized that the only fire alarm left functional in the house was going off, obviously low on its battery, and barely emitting noise.

At that time, I believed it was definitely a power outtage. There wasn't any smoke.

I was downstairs now, and discovered I was hungry. Very, very hungry. I made a turkey sandwich with horseradish and fat pickles. Downed it with a glass of medicant, and then realized I wasn't tired. In fact, I felt great, my eyes opened wide with new energy.

I remember looking outside the window, into the backyard. It was definitely the dead of night. So why then was I so alert now, and why had I felt like I had slept for so long, and why was I hungry. I suspected. I knew something was wrong. For ten minutes I wondered while I tried to sleep on my nearby leather sofa, what possibly could have set such strange events together. The dream, the alarm clock, the fire alarm, the hunger, the alertness, the feeling of a long sleep...

I sat up and flicked the tube on. It wasn't on the History Channel; this had been replaced by the good ol' colored bars, covering the upper half of the screen. ERIN filled the lower half. I never imagined that there would be a real showing of the Emergency Response Information Network. All those drills, the annoying whines over the TV, and then this. They prepared us, alright, good job government.

You saw it, sometime during this dramatic First Day of Whatever is Happening, and I can't wait to hear your stories. You remember what it said:

WE ENCOURAGE ALL CITIZENS TO REMAIN CALM, AND STAY IN THEIR HOMES FOR THE TIME BEING.
KEEP YOUR TELEVISIONS ON FOR THIS IMPORTANT 24-HOUR BROADCAST ALERT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
THE NATION AND THE WORLD IS EXPERIENCING A STRANGE PHENOMENON OCCURING WELL OUTSIDE OF OUR ATMOSPHERE.
AN UNKNOWN MATERIAL OR FORCE HAS PREVENTED LIGHT FROM REACHING THE SURFACE OF THE EARTH.
WE HAVE CONFIRMED THAT THE MOON IS STILL IN ORBIT, THOUGH INVISIBLE BECAUSE OF THE OMISSION OF SUNLIGHT.
BECAUSE OF THIS AND THE FACT THAT SATELLITES AND OTHER DEVICES UTILIZED IN SPACE ARE STILL APPARENTLY THERE, WE BELIEVE THE PHENOMENON TO BE OCCURING OUTSIDE OF THE MOON'S ORBIT.

TO REPEAT, LIGHT FROM THE SUN, OTHER STARS, AND THE REST OF THE PLANETS OF OUR SOLAR SYSTEM ARE NOT REACHING THE SURFACE OF EARTH.
THE NATIONS OF THE WORLD ARE DOING EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO DISCOVER THE CAUSE OF THIS PHENOMENON, AND TO EVENTUALLY RETURN LIGHT TO THE EARTH.
UNTIL THEN, STAY INDOORS, STAY SAFE, AND AWAIT FURTHER BROADCASTS.
MAJOR NEWS NETWORKS HAVE REMAINED ONLINE, AND WILL CONTRIBUTE FURTHER INFORMATION.

The message looped. I read it a couple of times. I looked outside. It sure was the dead of night. No starlight, no moonlight, and no sunlight. It was 3:58 PM. Welcome to the new world.

So I sat there on my couch and flicked to the news. Fox, mainly. And I soaked in the information.

1. The world has not stopped turning. On the other side of the world, China is in the dark as well.
2. There are no discovered locations in the world where there is light.
3. There are electromagnetic surges in the atmosphere. My TV went off a few minutes after the news anchor said this, made me laugh.

And then there were things that they said a little later:

1. The Day Without Light has caused soaring criminal activity, taking advantage of the worldwide crisis. Looters, shootings, apocalypse rave parties...
2. The sun better come back soon: We depend on it. Solar plants have a nil electric output level, obviously, causing anarchy in some smaller town areas. Plants need the sun. Animals need plants. Humans need both! The world's ecosystem could collapse.
3. The world's religious have blown up. Its a meltdown out there. The civil war in Iraq has exploded with new strife. The Muslim world is calling for a Jihad against the West to rid the world from darkness. The Pope is doing something radical, Christian leaders are calling for gathering, and those new age guys are looking for some other kind of rapture.
4. New tensions in Korea.
5. Few people are going to jobs. This one day could trigger a world economic collapse. What do we do without light?!

What is going on?!

My day was spent glued to the television. I had a decent amount of food, but I'd have to pick up as much as I could very soon. I called people, including my boss, who said I could stay home until this rolls over. Hopefully it will. My family is fine, but worried. We're all scared.

It's nearly 4:00 AM, July the 7th. I haven't gone to sleep. Many of you have. I haven't a need for sleep. More about that later. The sun, the stars, the planets are still no where out there. But the world is here. And people are here... AND WE'RE FREAKING OUT.

Its late. I need to go get food, and hopefully a weapon. I don't like the sound of looters and murderers roaming this perpetual midnight. There has been a lot of sounds outside my window, but the neighborhood hasn't burnt down. I need to get supplies, and prepare for the worst. I suspect at 4:00 AM, there isn't going to be anyone out there. The military and police are around the city, taking a healthy amount of cycling shifts, and I think there'll be more of them than criminals. I'm going to scout the area outside of my suburbanite, two-story house, and try to pick up stuff. I am alert, I have as much adrenaline as I need, and I don't need sleep. And I've got a lot of cash saved up. Whatever happens, I hope to survive.

Goodnight, world. Hopefully, for not too long. Please send comments, I get so little connection with the outside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home