Saturday, July 08, 2006

Ugh. I don't know how much time I'll have, but I've got to type, man. My nerves are KILLING ME! It's STILL dark outside, let me tell you at first. I almost GOT SHOT, I also HAVE BLOOD ALL OVER MY CLOTHES, and, oh yeah, it doesn't look like the human race has a SINGLE CHANCE AT SURVIVING.

I gotta keep calm. Okay. Okay.

So where was I? I gotta keep this autobiography straight, you know?

8:40 PM, last night. We got home, and I joked and talked with the girls, good stuff, and watched TV. At around 9:00 I got a phone call. Tayva Craft. The Crafts and my family used to live at the same block in Arizona, some ten years back. The Crafts moved out here, and when I needed to get a place out here, the Crafts were able to find me a good apartment. After I started making some good money at LaBerge, I moved away, but we keep in touch. Tayva is 21, and we had some good times before. We were neighborhood buddies, the only ones about the same age, and we did a lot of things together. I have to admit I haven't kept into contact very well.

So. Tayva calls me up. It turns out, she has some criminal offenses on her. This shocked and awed me immediately. Her fingerprints are in the system: she robbed a jewelry store with a few other guys. I have to say, in the back of my mind, this sounds pretty cool. Tayva and I were friends for six years. This is bad, yes, but she said she did it for a guy and for a sense of adventure, and she's over that.

Can you really rob a jewelry store and just get over it later? A successful jewel robbery is something hard to do, I'd imagine, and she just... went in, did it, and then after a while, decided she didn't want to do it any more?!

So, I jump in my red truck, and drive (very quickly) over the American River and into her neighborhood. Its a rich neighborhood, and doing considerably worse. You should have seen all the broken windows. The rich people, they scrammed, right out of there in their RVs and private jets, as soon as this thing started. The poor and destitute have been enjoying a hey-dey. This made me incredibly nervous, and I did see quite a few hoodlums, but for some reason they didn't make a move towards me. Did they think I was another looter? Is there some kind of 'code among looters'? I don't know, but I did get to her house safely.

As soon as I rolled up, I saw her run out into the night and jump in.

"Is there a hurry?" I asked.

Erm... the girls want to talk to me about something. Hold on. That's a bad point to stop at... but... just a second.

2 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Yesterday's rationality is fading fast!

You know, I've spent the last day trying to sell a desperate (more like insane) idea to my parents and neighbors: converting the townhouse we live in to a makeshift ark that would last for decades until, hopefully, survivors from other arks could be contacted. I realized that in all probability no one on the block will be nominated to a gov't-ark and it's pointless to swarm as it would only doom them. Unfortunately, the whole idea depends on...

1. Community cooperation. No one killing each other over the next few decades.
2. Finding large numbers of glow-sticks and flashlight batteries in a very short amount of time, since electrical power is going to be dead soon and we don't have a nuclear reactor around.
3. Raiding local stores and neighbor's gardens for edible plants, preferably low-light ones (my parents have low-light plants but they're not edible and are thus useful for 02 only). Probably most of the area of the townhouses would have to be converted into indoor gardens growing food.
4. Finding oxygen canisters, finding or making scuba gear for outdoor work, weapons for defense, lots of cardboard/trashbags/2x4s to make a half-ass seal so there's enough oxygen to breathe, buckets (outdoor for collecting rainwater (I hope it still rains) and indoor to replace toilets [probably to be recycled into the plants...p-u!]), water filters, a long-range two-way radio ...
5. Either draw straws or somehow decide who gets to stay, as I doubt the townhouse structure would sustain 20 people or so for decades, at least food-wise if not oxygen-wise. This could be very ugly.

I am mad.... I'm desperate to discover a method of survival that's not completely miserable. Probably the only way to do that is to get the Sun back or to make a good fake (using lots of light bulbs? :P).

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Michael Alan said...

Daniel.

Look outside.

I don't know what to say. Is this the Second Coming?

On one hand, this is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

On the other...

What in God's green universe is happening to planet Earth?

We've been saved... miraculously... and yet I'm filled with a terrible, terrible fear of things to come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home